[Asec] Reminders: Annual Business Meeting and CFP

Bailey, Heather L hbail2 at uis.edu
Wed Nov 29 22:07:38 UTC 2023

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing many of you at our annual business meeting this Thursday, November 30, at the ASEEES convention in Philadelphia. We will gather in Meeting Room 301 at the Philadelphia Marriot Downtown at 7 P.M.

The 10th ASEC Biennial Conference will take place at The Ohio State University, February 1-3, 2024. The theme is the body and Eastern Christianity, broadly conceived to address the relationship between faith and the corporeal, particularly regarding personhood, ability/disability, and healing. Papers are also welcome that do not explicitly address these topics. Scholars from all disciplines are invited to participate.

Renewing its commitment to introducing the work of exciting new scholars to the ASEC community, the conference will feature a keynote address by Katherine Karam McCray, a social ethicist who focuses on religious history and disability. McCray holds an MDiv from Princeton Theological Seminary and a ThM from St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary. She is a PhD candidate in religious ethics at University of St. Michael's College, University of Toronto.

Please join us at both events!

For the conference, either panel proposals (three papers) or individual paper proposals can be submitted. Send paper and panel proposals with abstracts of 100-200 words for each paper, and a brief one-page curriculum vitae for each participant to Heather Bailey (hbail2 at uis.edu<mailto:hbail2 at uis.edu>). The deadline for proposals is December 11, 2023. We are especially eager to welcome graduate students, and some funding is available to provide them with assistance for travel expenses.

For more information on the conference and its venue, contact Nadia Kizenko at nkizenko at albany.edu<mailto:nkizenko at albany.edu>.

On behalf of the ASEC Board,
Heather

Heather Bailey