[Asec] Sergei Zhuk's activities: REMINDER: call for news for Spring 2019 Newsletter DUE April 1

Zhuk, Sergei sizhuk at bsu.edu
Sun Mar 17 21:36:14 UTC 2019

My dear friends:

I am Dr. Sergei Zhuk, Professor of East European and Russian History at Ball State University.

In 2018-19 I was involved in collecting material for my new research project (covering religious aspects of history as well)

"Soviet Ukraine and Capitalist America: Ukrainian National Identity in Cultural Cold War, 1954-1991"

Project Summary

My research project will be devoted to a study of the Soviet administration’s usage of Ukrainian national identity and Ukrainian culture in influencing Ukrainian diaspora in North America after Stalin during the beginning of the opening of Soviet society and the regular visits of Soviet citizens to America until the end of the Cold War, 1954-1991. I will explore 1) a role and functions of Communist/KGB leadership of the Ukrainian SSR Ministry of Foreign Affairs, starting with Luka Palamarchuk (1954-1966), reaching its peak under Heorhii Shevel (1970-1980) and declining under Anatolii Zlenko (1990-1994); 2) a role of cultural and academic exchanges and personal connections of Ukrainian scholars, such as Arnold Shlepakov and Leonid Leshchenko, with American Ukrainians (1958-1991); 3) an involvement of the leftist, pro-Communist groups among American (especially Canadian) Ukrainians in the Soviet propagandist efforts abroad; 4) problems of cultural consumption and knowledge production about America in Soviet Ukraine, especially a role of Soviet Ukrainian journal Vsesvit; 5) problems of international tourism in Soviet Ukraine; 6) functions and failures of Soviet organizations of “cultural diplomacy,” such as the Ukrainian Society of Friendship and Cultural Connection with Foreign Countries; 7) the relations between “cultural” diplomacy and covert anti-American operations by the Soviet government; and finally, 8) the role of personal contacts between Soviet and American Ukrainians in formation of Soviet and Post-Soviet Ukrainian national identity. My main sources for this study are archival documents, memoirs, contemporary periodicals and personal interviews.

During this period of time I had published a book

Soviet Americana: The Cultural History of Russian and Ukrainian Americanists (London and New York: I.B. Tauris, 2018 [London and New York: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2019]);

and a few chapters in essay collections:

  1.  1. “Limits of Westernization during Cultural Détente in Provincial Society of Soviet Ukraine: A View from Below” in Euxeinos: Governance and Culture in the Black Sea Region, December 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 25-26, 42-60

2. “Soviet Americanists and American Visual Media in the USSR during the Brezhnev Era,” in Simo Mikkonen, Giles Scott-Smith & Jari Parkkinen (eds.), Entangled East and West. Cultural Diplomacy and Artistic Interaction during the Cold War (Berlin: De Gruyter, 2018), 163-189

3. “The Disco Effect in Cold-War Ukraine,” Dancing the Cold War: An International Symposium (February 16-18, 2017), Organized and edited by Lynn Garafola (New York: Columbia University, Harriman Institute, 2018), 78-94

During this period of time I was awarded with a few grants and awards:

July 2019 – August 2019, the Kennan Institute Short-term grant award, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, DC

July 2018 – March 2019, Kennan Institute Alumni Grant, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, DC

Special Assigned Leave with pay, Ball State University, Spring Semester 2019

I also had a few public presentations during this time as well:

Public Lecture: Soviet Americana, Or How a Soviet Person Learned to Love and Hate America, at the Institute of History of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine, February 12, 2019

Book Talk: Soviet Americana: The Cultural History of Russian and Ukrainian Americanists by Sergei Zhuk, in Harriman Institute, Columbia University, New York City, October 16, 2018. See a link: https://harriman.columbia.edu/event/book-talk-soviet-americana-cultural-history-russian-and-ukrainian-americanists-sergei-zhuk

[https://harriman.columbia.edu/files/harriman/content/10-16%20Zhuk%20Sergei%20photo%2001.JPG]<https://harriman.columbia.edu/event/book-talk-soviet-americana-cultural-history-russian-and-ukrainian-americanists-sergei-zhuk>

Book Talk. Soviet Americana: The Cultural History of Russian and Ukrainian Americanists by Sergei Zhuk | Columbia | Harriman Institute<https://harriman.columbia.edu/event/book-talk-soviet-americana-cultural-history-russian-and-ukrainian-americanists-sergei-zhuk>
harriman.columbia.edu
Please join the Ukrainian Studies Program at the Harriman Institute, Columbia University for a presentation by Sergei Zhuk, Professor of Russian and Eastern European History at Ball State University, of his book Soviet Americana: The Cultural History of Russian and Ukrainian Americanists (I.B. Tauris, 2018). In 1991, there were more than 1,000 "Americanists"—experts in U.S. history and ...

Interview about a book: Soviet Americana: The Cultural History of Russian and Ukrainian Americanists for UkeTube Ukrainian Video, June 23, 2018. See a link:

https://youtu.be/hodd1QXHc3g<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2Fhodd1QXHc3g&data=02%7C01%7Csizhuk%40bsu.edu%7C42196f74a0f2402547d608d5d9f526aa%7C6fff909f07dc40da9e30fd7549c0f494%7C0%7C0%7C636654569301517207&sdata=%2F2C%2F9JR8zwctjEINrCFvV9lBWu0hy5l99GV6oAmoz9E%3D&reserved=0>

https://www.facebook.com/uketube/videos/1900250690005162/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fuketube%2Fvideos%2F1900250690005162%2F&data=02%7C01%7Csizhuk%40bsu.edu%7C42196f74a0f2402547d608d5d9f526aa%7C6fff909f07dc40da9e30fd7549c0f494%7C0%7C0%7C636654569301517207&sdata=cNb6K8gfLjNYsAbo5Kf%2FCa%2B3EYGJApUcYSLW9EBgT%2Fw%3D&reserved=0>

Public Lecture: the 11th Annual Michael B. Petrovich Lecture: Soviet Americana, Or How Russians Learned to Love and Hate America, Department of History, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, April 27, 2018.

See a link: https://history.wisc.edu/event/michael-b-petrovich-lecture/

[https://history.wiscweb.wisc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/202/2018/04/news-petrovich-lecture-zhuk-2018-232x300.png]<https://history.wisc.edu/event/michael-b-petrovich-lecture/>

Michael B. Petrovich Lecture – Department of History – UW–Madison<https://history.wisc.edu/event/michael-b-petrovich-lecture/>
history.wisc.edu
11th Annual Michael B. Petrovich Lecture supported by the Alice D. Mortensen/Petrovich Chair in Russian History “Soviet Americana: or How Russians Learned to Love and Hate America”

Public Lecture and Presentation of the book Soviet Americana: The Cultural History of Russian and Ukrainian Americanists at the National Technical University on March 5, 2018, and at the Dnipropetrovsk State University of Interior Affairs on March 6, 2018, in the city of Dnipro, Ukraine. See links: https://www.facebook.com/events/554279391602097/,

http://dduvs.in.ua/2018/03/07/profesor-iz-usa/?_utl_t=fb

[http://dduvs.in.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/usa.jpg]<http://dduvs.in.ua/2018/03/07/profesor-iz-usa/?_utl_t=fb>

Досвід із-за океану: американський професор зустрівся зі здобувачами вищої освіти ДДУВС<http://dduvs.in.ua/2018/03/07/profesor-iz-usa/?_utl_t=fb>
dduvs.in.ua
Професор історії державного Університету Болл (штат Індіана, США) Сергій Жук провів лекцію для курсантів та студентів Дніпропетровського державного університету внутрішніх справ на тему «Сучасний стан досліджень держави та права США».

Presenter of the paper “’Russian Academic Imperialism’ and Ukraine: A Case Study of Soviet Americanists” at the international conference “Ukraine and its Neighbors: Cross-Cultural and Transnational Interactions,” January 14-16, 2019, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy

Presenter of the paper: “Soviet Americanists, Latin America, Afghanistan and Espionage in the Cold War (1958-1991),” at an international workshop “The Secret Struggle for the Global South: Espionage, Covert Action and State Security in the ‘Third World’ during the Cold War - A Comparative Perspective,” September 12-14, 2018, the University of Warwick, England

Please let me know if you need something else as well

Best regards,
Sergei

Dr. Sergei I. Zhuk,
Professor of History,